Thursday, October 19, 2006

An outrage!

I received a tip-off about a shocking case of anti-fishism and gross stereotyping recently. 'Number One Fish Lover' wrote to me advising me of the above advert, which appeared in Saturday's Guardian.

As you can see, the advert implies that goldfish have a poor memory, and of course this is a common misconception probably put about by the same people who maintain that Eskimos have hundreds of words for snow. I don't know how they can say their data storage is better than fish memory though; in the old days everything was stored on microfish. And memory is dangerous - it only takes one megabite to get caught on a hook.

As Fish Lover pointed out, I am used to this type of racial slur, but she believes I should fight for the rights of goldfish everywhere. I am inclined to agree, as if we let this kind of bigotry and prejudice go unchallenged it will only get worse. She suggests a boycott of all Jessops stores, and I think that this plus fishy sanctions imposed on them and widespread demonstrations should get the message across nicely.

I would like to point out to Number One Fish Lover, though, that liking fish for supper is not actually something we encourage. Although as long as you just stick to the halibut and those pesky crustaceans it's OK. Cod's alright as well, they're no use to no one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home